Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Carrot-Lentil Loaf



This is my absolute favorite!  I have never actually made it, Mike does it every time, but it seems simple from an outsider's perspective.  This is an amazing comfort food dinner that doesn't leave you feeling like you ate a ton of comfort food.  In addition to macaroni salad (about which I hope to blog about soon) meat loaf is another typical American food my family never made while I was growing up, and that I didn't experience until later in my life.  Now that I have tried both this delicious low-fat carrot lentil loaf and actual meat loaf, I have to say I much prefer the former.  Please try it for yourself.  You will not be sorry--unless you try to serve at a fancy dinner party, because on the first night it doesn't plate well for presentation.  Nevertheless it it delicious.  We originally found the recipe on Epicurious.com.  I would have attached the direct link, but I can't find it anymore.

2 cups sliced carrot
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups vertically sliced onions
1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
2 cups cooked lentils
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup garlic and herb bread crumbs
1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Steam carrot, covered, 15 minutes or until tender.

Heat oil in large non-stick skillet over medium high heat.  Add onion and ginger, saute 7 minutes or until golden.

Combine the carrot, onion mixture, lentils, and the next 4 ingredients (lentils through egg) in a food processor (we use an immersion blender right in the pot) and process until smooth.  Combine carrot mixture, oats, breadcrumbs, walnuts, and salt in a large bowl.  Spoon mixture into an 8 x 4 greased loaf pan.

Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment